Welcome to Marine Science at UH Hilo!
Located on the Island of Hawai'i, the Marine Science Program at UH Hilo offers many opportunities in marine science education.
The Marine Science program is well-rounded and multi-disciplinary. It has been carefully designed to take full advantage of the unique variety of marine environments available for study around the Island of Hawai'i. Students can major or minor in Marine Science. In addition, numerous opportunities are offered through the the Marine Options Program (MOP). We also work closely with the Boating Safety Program, Diving Safety Program, the Analytical Lab, and the Hawaii Cooperative Fishery Research Unit. Explore our website for these and other educational opportunities and and learn more about our faculty research activities students can engage in. Mahalo!!
One Learns from Many Sources
We provide hands-on learning centered around the natural and cultural environment of Hawai'i. Check out Mia Lamirand's amazing video highlighting Marine Science at UH Hilo.
- UH Hilo students learn and apply data science skills to reef study
- UH Hilo marine scientists and partner researchers investigate how climate change affects coral reef at French Frigate Shoals
- UH Hilo marine scientists train junior scientists in the waters of the Marshall Islands
- Stories about Beach Created By Volcanic Eruption Was Born Polluted
- Beach cleanups are missing millions of pieces of plastic
- Profile of Jonathan Chandrasakaran (BS Marine Science, 2012), Manager of the Datai Langkawi’s Nature Centre
- Profile of UH Hilo student and NOAA Hollings Scholar, Bri Craig
- A few stories about Dr. Colbert using the autonomous Wave Glider to study the Kilauea lava flow impact on the ocean.
- UH Hilo team scuba dive to research historic World War II battlefield
- Two Marine Science students experience with NOAA in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands
- The documentary, Chasing Coral, on Netflix includes several MARE students that helped with deployment, servicing, and retrieval of the camera deployed at Wai 'Opae, Hawai'i Island
- QUEST divers from UH Hilo collected data to support this project exploring deep reefs (up to 165 feet!) around Hawai'i Island
Older news can be found in the News Archive.
The mission of the undergraduate degree program in marine science is to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the world’s oceans and an appreciation of the importance of marine ecosystems to the global environment and human life. The mission is accomplished through a combination of hands-on laboratory and field experience, inquiry-based instruction, and direct interactive learning and is supported by a broad background in the marine sciences, including basic knowledge of the natural science disciplines of biology, chemistry, physics, geology, and mathematics.